Marketing Podcast with Rodney Zemmel
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Rodney Zemmel. He is co-leader of the McKinsey Digital Practice, a senior partner based in New York, and a member of McKinsey’s Shareholders Council, the firm’s board of directors. He serves clients across a range of industries on growth strategy, performance improvement, and value creation by harnessing the power of data and analytics, digital culture and capabilities, and modernized core technology.
He is the co-author of Rewired: the McKinsey’s Guide to Outcompeting in the Age of Digital and AI. This book shares the lessons McKinsey has learned helping companies deliver successful digital and AI transformations into a detailed “how to” manual.
Digital transformation requires organizations to rewire their processes and operations, leveraging new technologies to achieve value. It’s important that organizations take ownership of their digital transformation as an ongoing journey and actively learn to implement changes in order to keep improving. Rodney highlights the significance of selecting the right areas for transformation that can deliver a differentiating value, plus the importance of upskilling and reskilling existing talent within digital changes.
Questions I ask Rodney Zemmel:
- [01:48] How much collaboration or maybe fighting goes on to structure a book like the McKinsey guide, that’s effectively going to represent the brand itself?
- [03:20] Do you see this book as something you can take to a client and say we’re going to walk each of the sections here?
- [04:28] Why is the title of the book “Rewired”?
- [08:56] How does somebody start addressing what is essentially a line-by-line audit of everything they’re doing?
- [12:22] Would you look at the value derived by digital technologies differently than by producing customer value or revenue?
- [14:23] Are you advising companies that they might need to get different people or new people on these digital changes?
- [16:32] Are there organizations that are significantly behind in this rewiring?
- [17:50] Is there a correlation between leadership inside of an industry by how digital it is?
- [19:02] Are you seeing people wasting a lot of time and money on AI because it’s the trendy thing of the moment?
- [20:07] How crippling is any of this without access to data inside an organization?
More About Rodney Zemmel:
More About The Agency Certification Intensive Training:
Take The Marketing Assessment:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.